Sunday, October 25, 2009

Consolidating Identities and Organizational Branding

The problem that I am having with my new level of involvement in the social web is that I have 2 or three (maybe more) identities online now and I'm feeling unsure about how far I should go to combine them. My personal email has been "djrybrow" for a long while, however now I'm trying to be more professional in some places, but my Facebook account is still pretty silly, with photos of my pirate band all over and lots of weird postings from friends. I'm trying to link my blogs for this class and my LinkedIn page together to create a more credible and real person online, however I'm wondering if I can also have this alter ego, and if so do I need to operate under some pseudonym when being silly online?

This really boils down to participation and credibility for me. I believe that I will shortly be helping to establish a blog for Evergreen Funding Consultants and it really needs to be credible, serious, and read heavily so the personality of the author seems very important. I don't think I will be contributing too much to the content, so this is less of a personal branding issue, but more of an organizational branding issue. I'm interested in maximizing our reach in the social web, and I feel like I'm more prepared for this role now than I was 2 months ago, but I'm still nervous to coordinate this effort.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you loud and clear. How does one go about this? I certainly feel that pressure to figure out how to sort out all of the identities. What a strange concept. Before this class I never thought so much about the implications of social media. Whew! And I guess my final thoughts would be no matter what just be you, speaking with a voice of an 'expert' is so boring. I think your 'pirate perspective' can go far no matter if it is facebook or a financial blog.

    ReplyDelete